Contact Veteran Services
- Memorial Building
1205 Main Street
Susanville, CA 96130
- Monday - Friday
8:00am - 5:00pm
Other times available
by appointment only.
- (530) 251-8192
- (530) 251-4901
The mission of Veteran Services is to pursue claims for disability, pension, compensation, education, and medical care for veterans and their eligible dependents; to assist widows and children of veterans in pursuing claims for burial allowances, death benefits, pensions, and insurance; and to assist with applications for VA funds in lieu of local welfare grants.
- Todd Conner, Veterans Service Officer
- Samantha Jee, Veterans Service Representative
- Mike Stark, Veterans Peer Specialist
- Dennis French, Veterans Peer Specialist
- Al Peck, Veterans Peer Specialist
- Jeremy Calgaro, Veterans Peer Specialist
- Tax Exemptions: Assist Veterans entitled to various tax exemptions.
- Awards: Assist Veterans in obtaining decorations, medals, and ribbons earned during military service.
- Provide power of attorney for designated organizations
- Referral service for needy veterans and their families
- Compensation: payable to veterans who are disabled by injury or disease incurred or aggravated during active military service.
- Pension: payable to veterans with low incomes who are permanently and totally disabled with 90 days active military service with one day during a period of war.
- 10 year time limit from date of discharge.
- Montgomery GI Bill: active duty after 6-30-85.
- Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP): active duty for first time after 12-31-76 and before 7-1-85 and contributed to a training fund.
- Veterans must have a VA-established service-connected disability of at least 10% with a serious employment handicap or 20% with an employment handicap.
- Services provided: Evaluation, assistance finding/maintaining employment, vocational counseling/planning, training, supportive rehabilitation services.
- Guaranteed Loans: VA can guarantee part of a loan from a private lender.
- Refinancing Loans: refinance VA or non-VA loan at a lower interest rate.
- Special Grants: certain disabled veterans can receive grants to have their homes specially adapted to their needs.
- No time limit for service-related death. Other deaths, 2 years from date of burial.
- Headstones and Markers: VA can furnish a monument to mark the unmarked grave of eligible veteran.
- Presidential Memorial Certificate: VA can provide a certificate for eligible recipients.
- Burial Flag: VA can provide an American flag to drape an eligible veteran's casket.
- Reimbursement of Burial Expenses: VA can pay a burial allowance of $2,000 for veterans who die of service related causes. For certain other veterans , VA can pay $ 300 burial/funeral expenses and $300 for a plot.
- Burial in a VA National Cemetery: most veterans and some dependents can be buried in a VA national cemetery.
- Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC): is payable to survivors of service members who died on active duty; veterans who died from service-related disabilities; certain veterans who were being paid 100% VA disability compensation at time of death.
- Death Pension: is payable to some surviving spouses and children of deceased wartimes veterans. The benefit is based on financial need.
- CHAMPVA: shares the cost of medical services for eligible dependents and survivors of certain veterans.
- Veterans must be enrolled to receive VA health care.
- Services: preventive, immunizations, screening test, health education, training classes, primary health care, diagnostics and treatment, home health care, respite, hospice care, palliative care, urgent/limited emergency care, drugs and pharmaceuticals.
- Hearing aids/eyeglasses: generally require a service connected disability rating of 10% or more.
- Service members Group Life Insurance (SGLI): Coverage begins when you enter service. Expires 120 days after you get out.
- Veterans Group Life Insurance: Renewable five-year term life insurance for veterans.
- Service-Disabled Veterans Insurance: life insurance for service-disabled veterans. Apply within two years after being notified of service connected disability.
- College Fee Waiver: waiver of all mandatory system wide tuition and fees for eligible dependents.
- Cal Vet Home Loans: provide a VA guaranteed loan to eligible veterans.
- Veterans Home of California: serves former military personnel by providing quality residential and medical care
Military Service Related
Education and Training
Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment
Dependents and Survivors
California Department of Veteran's Affairs (CDVA) Benefits
Federal Veterans Administration (http://www.va.gov/)
California Department of Veterans Affairs (http://www.cdva.ca.gov/)
National Personnel Records Center (http://www.archives.gov/veterans/)
Code of Federal Regulations (http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/)
National Cemetery Administration Dept of Veteran Affairs (http://www.cem.va.gov/)
Black Civil War Veterans (http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/)
Cold War Certificate Program (https://www.hrc.army.mil/site/active/tagd/coldwar/)
Vietnam Veterans of America (http://www.vva.org/)
Gulf War Information (http://www.gulflink.osd.mil/)
Small Business Administration (http://www.sba.gov/VETS/)
Veterans' Homes Bond Act of 2000 Proposition 16 (http://primary2000.sos.ca.gov/VoterGuide/Propositions/16.htm)